Become A Member

  1. Home
  2. December 2016
  3. 11. What to be Used for Hemodynamic Stability in Day Care Surgery - Laryngel Mask Airway or Endotracheal Tube
Article Image
Admin

11. What to be Used for Hemodynamic Stability in Day Care Surgery - Laryngel Mask Airway or Endotracheal Tube

Muhammad Nadeem Khan1, Sadique Hussain2 and Muhammad Waseem Khan3

 

ABSTRACT

 

Objective: To compare the haemodynamic changes between Laryngeal Mask Airway (LMA) insertion & Endotracheal intubation in day care surgery.

Study Design: Quasi Experimental Study.

Place and Duration of Study: This study was conducted at the Department of Anaesthesia, Divisional Headquarter Teaching Hospital Mirpur from May 2015 to May 2016.

 

Materials and Methods: This study was conducted after taking permission from the Hospital Ethical Committee. One hundred patients fulfilling inclusion criteria were selected by non probability convenient sampling after taking informed written consent. They were divided into two groups (LMA-A and ETT- B) scheduled for different elective day care surgical procedures under general anaesthesia. Group A comprised of fifty patients in whom LMA was

inserted. Group B comprised of fifty patients in whom ETT was inserted. Patient , s s  stolic blood pressure (SBP),

diastolic blood pressure (DBP), mean arterial pressure (MAP), heart rate (HR) and ulse oximetry (SPO2) baseline and on 01,03,05,07,09 than after every three minutes were recorded. All the data compared and analyzed by SPSS-10.

 

Results: It was observed that 99% i.e. forty-eight patients of gr up A (n=50) did not show intraoperative hemodynamic changes and only 1% i.e.2 patients showed hemodynamic changes. While 95% i.e. forty patients of group B (n=50) did not show hemodynamic changes and remaining nly 5% i.e. 10 patients showed intraoperative hemodynamic changes.

 

Conclusion: The use of LMA significantly reduces the intaoperative hemodynamic changes compared to ETT in day care surgery.

Key words: Laryngeal mask airway, Endotracheal tube, Hemodynamic changes, day care surgery

 

Citation of article: Khan MN, Hussain S, Khan MW. What to be Used for Hemodynamic Stability in Day Care Surgery - Laryngel Mask Airway r End tracheal Tube. Med Forum 2016;27(12):41-45.