Become A Member

  1. Home
  2. July 2018
  3. 10. To Share our Experience of Invasive Ventilation in NICU at Rehman Medical Institute, Peshawar- Pakistan
Article Image
Admin

10. To Share our Experience of Invasive Ventilation in NICU at Rehman Medical Institute, Peshawar- Pakistan

Abid Salahuddin, Anwar Zeb Jan, Shahzada Bakhtyar Zahid and Maria Aleem

ABSTRACT

Objective: Outcomes of neonatal invasive ventilation at Pediatric Unit - Rehman Medical Institute, Peshawar – Pakistan.

Study Design: Descriptive / cross sectional study

Place and Duration of Study: This study was conducted at the Neonatal ICU (NICU), Pediatric Unit Rehman Medical Institute from January 2015 to December 2016.

Materials and Methods: The total number of neonates ventilated during 2 years, were 45. All neonates ventilated were included in the study. Neonatal record of ventilated babies were taken from hospital data base.

Results: Out of 45 cases, 19 were premature babies, which contributed 12 % of the total neonatal admissions. Cases were described according to Spectrum of disease, duration of ventilation, and outcome based on risk factors and prematurity. 40 (89 %) were high risk cases with multiple co-morbidities. With the current approach, the results were variable. The variability can be due to the individual neonatal condition. In high risk cases 18 (45 %) cases were successfully extubated and discharged home. The rest 55 % cases met poor outcome because of multiple reasons, with prematurity being the most important cause. Among extreme preterm cases (ventilated) overall survival rate was 27.2%.

Conclusion: Prematurity, sepsis, MAS, HIE were the major indications for ventilation. However, early referral risk stratification, appropriate initiation of management and surfactant administration is associated with decrease mortality.

Key Words: Experience, Invasive ventilation, NICU, Outcome

Citation of articles: Salahuddin A, Jan AZ, Zahid SB, Aleem M. To Share our Experience of Invasive Ventilation in NICU at Rehman Medical Institute, Peshawar- Pakistan. Med Forum 2018;29(7):40-43.